Mark Fisher on Serious Fitness for Ridiculous Humans
My guest today is Mark Fisher, who regularly shows up wearing a unicorn head – atypical of someone who runs several gyms in midtown manhattan. Mark is the co-owner of Mark Fisher Fitness and the consulting group, Business for Unicorns.
Mark and I share a common background in the performing arts, and it was fun for me to hear how Mark has taken that background and applied it to his entrepreneurial efforts both at his gyms and as a consultant. As someone who has long thought of creating a gym or physical center, I loved this conversation. Even more so, though, Mark’s passion for culture and people shone through.
I’m also pleased to share that Mark Fisher is going to be one of our speakers at Responsive Conference 2018, which will be taking place on September 24th and 25th in New York City. Pick up a ticket to hear him speak live.
I hope you enjoy this conversation as much as I did!
3:30 Balancing ridiculousness at Mark Fisher Fitness
9:15 Starting a fitness business
12:30 Combining creativity with vision execution
15:00 Business for Unicorns
19:45 Soft skills in hard systems and the Unicorn Society
22:00 Current state of fitness
26:00 Advice for building a gym
- The Personal MBA by Joshua Kaufman
- The E-myth Revisited by Michael Gerber
- Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh
- Good to Great by Jim Collins
- Good Business by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- The Advantage by Patrick Lencioni
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni
- The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of the Learning Organization by Peter Senge
33:30 Loving community
38:00 Cultural health
40:00 What’s next for Mark
43:15 Constant improvement
48:00 Find more about Mark: